Twin city Kiev (Ukraine)
History and profile of the twin city
Kiev was founded as a fortress around 1,500 years ago and has since been an administrative, political and religious centre.
During its heyday under prince Jaroslav in the 12th century it was one the largest cities of medieval Europe. The country and thus the city were controlled by changing dependencies from the 13th century until finally becoming part of Russia and then the Soviet Union.
Since 1991, Kiev has been the capital of the independent state Ukraine. Kiev is a trade fair centre with national and international trade fairs and an important industrial centre (engineering and shipbuilding, textile and food industry, building materials). At the same time the city is also an important traffic junction with international airport and an underground railway.
Being the seat of the government and the administrative centre of the country, Kiev is also the centre of Ukrainian cultural life, with numerous museums and theatres. The university and 35 other colleges of higher education have 165,000 students.
In line with its importance, Kiev has a large number of sights, including the old city centre with historical buildings from all eras, the cave monastery Lawra, which was founded in 1057, and the city has buildings from eight centuries, the cathedral and the Golden Gate as part of the city defences.
Facts and Figures
- Capital of the Ukraine on the Dnepr river.
- Population: approx. 2.6 million inhabitants
- Twin city since 1961 (renewed 1992)