Twin city Hanover (Germany)
History and profile of the twin city
Though the first records of Hanover only date back to around 1150, settlement of the historic city centre can be traced back to the 10th century.
Hanover was granted the rights of a town in 1241 and in 1636 it became a seat of royal power and later an independent kingdom.
During World War II, 60% of the city, which in the meantime had become part of Prussia, was destroyed. But already in 1946, Hanover became the capital of Lower Saxony. In 1974, the city area was enlarged by 50%.
In 1990, Hanover won the bid to host the world exhibition EXPO 2000. Having been a trade fair city since 1947, Hanover today sports Germany’s largest trade fair grounds.
The city generates 14.3% of the economic performance of Lower Saxony, 70% of which comes from the tertiary sector (trade, transport, services). Hanover is home to the headquarters or branches of many important industrial companies. Its economic strength is aided by an ideal infrastructure as a major traffic junction with airport and city harbours along the Mittellandkanal.
A university and colleges of higher education with 45,000 students and opera, theatres, museums etc. provide the corresponding cultural and educational environment.
The city has many sights including its two town halls, the Church of the Holy Cross from 1333 and the Market Church (1349-59), the Herrenhäuser Gärten (Manor Gardens) and the Hanover Zoo.
Facts and Figures
- Capital of the Federal State of Lower Saxony and host city of EXPO 2000.
- Population: more than 500,000 inhabitants
- Twin city of Leipzig since 1987