Automotive and Suppliers
The Automotive and Suppliers Cluster may be one of the youngest in Leipzig – yet it’s also been one of the most influential ever since Porsche’s decision in 1999 to assemble the Cayenne in Leipzig. This was followed just two years later by BMW choosing Leipzig as the location of its new plant. In the meantime, more and more component suppliers have followed suit. The presence of Porsche and BMW, two of the world’s premium car marques, has done wonders for Leipzig’s reputation on the global market.
Source: Statistical Office of the city of Leipzig. Calculations by Leipzig Office for Economic Development
- BMW's production programme in Leipzig comprises the 1 Series five-door hatchback, the 2 Series Coupé and Cabriolet, the 2 Series Active Tourer and the BMW M2 as well as the BMW i3 and i8.
- Plug-in hybrid BMW i8 sports car and BMW 2 Series Active Tourer go into production.
- BMW starts volume production of the all-electric CFRP BMW i3; four wind turbines go into operation.
- BMW also begins building the X1 in Leipzig.
- In addition to the 3 Series, BMW starts producing the 1 Series three-door hatchback, Coupé and Cabriolet in Leipzig.
- BMW opens its Leipzig plant, produces 3 Series.
Foundation stone of the main building laid
first turf dug for BMW's Leipzig plant
BMW announces it will build a factory in Leipzig.
- Porsche opens a new, ultramodern training centre.
Volume production of the second-generation Panamera starts; millionth Porsche built in Leipzig comes off the production line.
Topping-out ceremonies for the second body construction plant and an advanced quality centre
Work begins on an extension for the complete production of the Panamera - Porsche starts creating about 600 new jobs.
Porsche launches production of the new Macan, creating about 1,500 new jobs.
- Porsche starts making the Panamera luxury four-door sedan.
Extension built for the exclusive production of the Carrera GT
Plant opens, Cayenne goes into production.
first turf dug for Porsche's Leipzig plant
Porsche announces its decision to build a factory in Leipzig.