The prize is an award for special services to promote gender equality among women and men. The City of Leipzig honours diverse and committed work to achieve gender equality.
Invitation for bids and application procedure 2019
Leipzig is awarding the Louise-Otto-Peters Prize for the fourth time this year. Applications can be submitted until 30 April.
Sookee Germany was honoured for her work in the field of gender equality in 2018. As the statute indicates that there must be an annual switch between awarding the prize to an individual and an organisation, the prize will be presented to an organisation this year.
The prize, which is worth EUR 5,000, is intended to honour special services to promote gender equality among women and men. This recalls the establishment of the General German Women’s Association in Leipzig on 18 October 1865 and the prize is named after its co-founder, Louise Otto-Peters (1819 – 1895). Her tireless efforts to promote women’s rights in politics, literature and education ensured that Leipzig has gone down in history as the cradle of the feminist movement.
Applications should meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Developing and implementing innovative project ideas to sensitise people to gender-relevant issues
- Campaigns and initiatives for gender equality and helping women and men to shape their lives on their own
- Long-standing, successful involvement in the field of gender equality policies in associations, institutions or political parties
- Outstanding involvement to promote gender equality among women and men in the family, work and society
- Journalistic work and publications that focus on forward-looking changes in gender-specific role models
- Initiating a public debate on a major gender policy topic
- Academic work that discusses gender-relevant issues and/or illustrates new, creative opportunities for solutions
- Artistic work that grapples with gender-specific role models and disrupts them
A jury assesses the applications that are received. It includes city council members, members of the Advisory Board for Gender Equality, the City of Leipzig’s Gender Equality Officer and the Head of the Protocol Department.
Please send your fully completed application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to the following address:
Referat für Gleichstellung von Frau und Mann