Twin city Brno (Czech Republic)
History and profile of the twin city
The first settlements in the Brno area can be traced as far back as 30,000 BC.). Brno was first mentioned in records in 1091.
From the 14th century, the town developed into a trade centre. After the development of the textile industry ("Moravian Manchester"), the city saw an industrial upswing in the 18th and 19th centuries with engineering, coal mining and steel industry.
Beginning in 1928, Brno developed into a trade fair location, supported mainly by regular international engineering trade fairs.
During the second World War, the city was severely damaged. Today, Brno's the economy is characterised by its engineering, chemical and textile industries, all of which benefit from the city's locational advantage as a traffic junction with an airport.
The university and other colleges with 27,000 students, theatres, museums, an observatory and planetarium complete the picture of the city of arts and science.
Brno has a large number of sights, including the old and new town halls, a cathedral, churches and a Capuchin monastery dating from the early Baroque period.
Facts and Figures
- The second-largest city in the Czech Republic and the centre of the Southern Moravian region.
- Population: almost 400,000 inhabitants
- Twin city since 1973 (renewed 1999)