Twin City Bologna (Italy)
History and profile of the twin city
Archaeological records show that settlements in the area of today's city of Bologna existed as far back as the 10th century BC. It was a Roman military base as early as 189 BC.
One of the oldest urban communities in upper Italy, Bologna became an autonomous city in 1115/16. Europe's oldest university was founded here in 1119. An important trading city, Bologna was incorporated into the kingdom of Italy in 1860.
Though severely damaged during the second World War, the historic city was able to revive its strength after the war. In 1965, Bologna became a trade fair location. Its economy is dominated by the food industry and chemical industries, precision mechanics, as well as engineering and shoe manufacturing.
Bologna is an important traffic junction. About 99,000 students study at its numerous universities and colleges as well as the local conservatorium.
The city is home to wonderful museums and libraries as well as a large number of sights. These include the impressive historic city centre (renovated in 1972) with its palaces, arcades and towers. Moreover, the city has an abundance of churches, among them San Domenico with the tomb of St. Dominic.
Facts and Figures
- The seventh-largest city in Italy and the centre of the Emilia-Romagna region and the province of Bologna.
- Population: approx. 380,000 inhabitants
- Twin city since 1962 (renewed 1997)