EUROCITIES is a European city network of currently over 130 large European cities. Leipzig has been a member of this network since 1992.
EUROCITIES is dedicated to strengthening municipal concerns in the context of the EU. As the only cross national network, EUROCITIES represents the interests of the European cities as political units vis-à-vis administrative bodies of the European Union, and it focuses the specific concerns of its single member cities for presentation. The active participation in the making of European politics, the exchanging of 'best practice' know-how among the members, the promotion of mutual cross national projects are unmistakable key issues of the network. Specialised topics are discussed in the following forums:
- Economic Development Forum
- Culture Forum
- Environment Forum
- Social Affairs Forum
- Mobility Forum
- Knowledge Society Forum
Leipzig greatly benefits from its participation in EUROCITIES, in particular
- by professional exchanges,
- by project-related cooperation,
- by the development of a joint position of European cities towards the European Commission,
- by addressing municipal agendas to activities and legal initiatives of the EU executive organs.