Today's "Schiller House" was built in 1717 as the main building of a typical three-sided farm complex in the village of Gohlis. In 1785, Friedrich Schiller received an invitation to Leipzig. From early May until September 11, he resided in the house in Menckestraße - his lodging being organised by publisher Joachim Göschen. Schiller wrote his "Ode to Joy" here, which Ludwig van Beethoven put to music in his 9th symphony. In addition, Schiller continued work on "Don Carlos".
Presenting some 100 exhibits, the permanent exhibition in Schiller House brings to life the atmosphere of the time and the people whom the poet met or whom he made friends with. It is dedicated to Schiller's literary work and to the performances of his works at Leipzig's theatres. In addition, the exhibition highlights the activities of Leipzig's Schiller Society and informs visitors about the history of the listed building and its restoration in line with the accepted conservation guidelines.
Tuesdays-Sundays 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Wednesdays-Sundays 11 a.m.-4 p.m.
Closed on December 24 and 31.
Please register for guided tours by calling +49 341 5662170.