The Leipzig Panometer is a converted gasometer in the district of Leipzig-Connewitz. As the first 'Panometer turned into gallery' it was opened by artist Yadegar Asisi in 2003. "Gasometer No. II", as it was once called, was built in 1909/1910 to store mains gas and was used for that purpose until 1977. In 2002/2003 is was extensively renovated to suit its new purpose.
The 1:1 scale panorama consists of printed slices, each three metres wide and 32 metres long, combined to form one overwhelming single image. To afford the Panometer visitors a perfect bird's-eye view, the viewing platform was extended to a new height of 15 metres.
Mondays to Fridays 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.
Final admission: 1 hour prior to closing time. There are extra opening hours for special events.