ARENA LEIPZIG – a modern multi-purpose indoor sports hall
11th May 2002 was an important day for sports in Leipzig. On this day, its new multi-purpose sports hall was officially opened, giving the city a venue fully meeting the high standards of international sports competitions and modern high-performance professional training.
ARENA Leipzig comprises of three different activity areas: a central hall for athletics, matches, school and association sports, and for events of various kinds; a general all-purpose hall for training, competitions, and school and association sports; and a judo hall with four competition areas.
Including standing room, the main hall has a maximum capacity of 12,000 spectators. More than 7,000 seats are available during matches. When the fan-like seats are retracted for athletics competitions, the hall still provides room for 3,000 spectators.
Use for training purposes
The main users of the multi-purpose hall are athletes and young talents of the athletics, judo and competitive sports. Moreover, athletes from many other disciplines come here especially in winter to make use of the ARENA's comprehensive material conditions for basic training. In addition, the ARENA is used by the students of the Sportgymnasium and the Sportmittelschule (Leipzig's sports schools and by Leipzig's sports associations.
Use for events
Apart from the regular national division matches in handball and volleyball, there are several hosted in the ARENA Leipzig including big concerts and sport events.
- length: 150 metres
- width: 90 metres
- height: 18 metres
- length 110 metres, width 82 metres
- houses complete athletics facilities to international standards including a 6-lane 200-metre circular raceway with electromechanically extensible (raiseable) bends
- mountable parquet flooring for ball games
- removable indoor hockey flooring
- removable volleyball flooring
- 18 m² video screen and 37m² sports display with graphic capabilities
- pitch size 44 x 27 metres
- 3-pitch hall with parquet flooring especially suitable for competitive sports
- 300 retractable seats
- 4 pitches
- 150 retractable seats
- length 136 metres, width 6.80 metres
- running training facilities with timing system, long jump and triple jump facilities
- changing rooms, toilets, sauna
- rooms for medical staff and doping control, physiotherapy
- strength exercise room
- VIP rooms, catering facilities
- 440 parking spaces for cars, 10 parking spaces for coaches
- over 100 bicycle stands
- disabled access for all halls