The renovation work will take place in steps so that the station is still accessible at all times. The work should be mostly completed by Lichtfest on 9th October 2019. In order to ensure enough free space for the building work, some platforms at the station may be temporarily out of service and many tram and bus lines will be diverted. At the same time, Leipziger Verkehrsbetriebe will carry out necessary platform renovations. Leipziger Wasserwerke will also use the opportunity to renovate the drinking water and wastewater pipes along Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße - in preparation for the complex future extension of Rosa-Luxemburg-Straße.
Orientation System for Blind People, More Space, More Comfortable Seats and Better Lighting
The comprehensive work being carried out will result in changes to the timetables of individual lines.
'The main stop is the most popular place for passengers to board and change our services so needs to be renovated after almost 13 years,' explained Dirk Sikora, head of infrastructure. 'We want to account for increased passenger numbers, so are renovating the flooring with an orientation system for blind users and creating more space to make boarding and alighting easier. The stop fittings will also be renovated to create more space and more comfortable seating options. The flow of passengers will be optimised and a third central entrance to the main station created. An improved lighting system will make passengers feel safer in future.'
Building work will be carried out in various phases.
Changes to Tram and Bus Traffic from 19th August to 17th September 2019 (Phase 1)
- Tram 1 will be diverted via Wilhelm-Leuschner-Platz and Augustusplatz.
- Tram 3 will be diverted via Augustusplatz and Reudnitz, Koehlerstraße.
- Trams 10, 11 and 16 will be diverted via the western inner city ring to the stop on the western side of the central station.
- Tram 12 will be temporarily shortened to terminate at the replacement stop on the western side of the central station.
- Tram 14 will be temporarily shortened to terminate at the replacement stop at Wilhelm-Leuschner-Platz.
- Buses 72 and 73 will be temporarily shortened to terminate at the replacement stop at Friedrich-List-Platz.
Changes to Traffic from 19th August to 17th September 2019 (Phase 1)
Lanes will be restricted on both sides of Willy-Brandt-Platz.
Phase 2 from 18th September 2019
Phase 2 will begin from 18th September. Leipziger Verkehrsbetriebe will provide separate information in this regard.
Customers can find all information and diversions on www.l.de/baustellen (in German), in transport notifications, all information systems as well as flyers and signs in vehicles and at stops.