Registering a place of residence when moving to Leipzig or within Leipzig
Are you moving to Leipzig?
Registration is necessary for all citizens subject to registration who move to Leipzig.
Are you moving house within Leipzig?
Changing registration is necessary for all citizens subject to registration who move house within Leipzig.
Citizens are subject to registration...
... if they move into a house or apartment. There are special regulations for persons under the age of 16.
Registering a place of residence when moving to Leipzig and within Leipzig (at the Resident Services Office)
If you have more than one residence in the Federal Republic of Germany, one of these residences is your principal residence.
The principal residence ...
.. is the residence primarily used; for families or partnerships, it is the residence primarily used together.
The secondary residence...
... is every other residence in the Federal Republic of Germany.
In the event of justified registration of a secondary residence, the City of Leipzig has charged secondary residence tax since 1 January 2006.
Documents / forms to be submitted
- Personal identity card and/or passport / child's passport for all persons subject to registration
- The completed registration form
- One registration form must be completed for each person being registered. Exception: members of a family with the same previous and new residence can use one registration form together, which must be signed by an adult subject to registration.
- You must enter the status of your residence exactly in the registration form.
- If registering more than four people, please use a second registration form.
- Please read the instructions on the forms carefully before completing them.
- Confirmation of the provider of the flat regarding occupancy of the flat
- This confirmation must be presented in written form
Further documents may be required in individual cases.
Deadlines and length of processing
- When moving into a new home, you must register or change registration at the appropriate registration office within two weeks.
- If the application requirements are met and the necessary documents presented, registration or change of registration can be completed immediately.
Procedures and processes
You can register or change registration at any Citizens' Office [Bürgeramt], irrespective of where you live in the City of Leipzig.
- You must register or change registration within two weeks.
- The personal appearance of at least one family member is essential.
- If a family is moving to Leipzig or within Leipzig, one adult person can handle registration for all the members of the family who are moving.
- For persons under the age of 16, registration must be performed by the person from whose home the minors are moving out or into whose home they are moving.
Your entries in the registration forms, including any other information necessary to show they are correct, are stored in the Residence Register by the Citizens' Offices.
At the same time, the necessary changes are made to passport and personal identity documents.
Costs and fees
No fees are charged.
Registering and changing registration of your residence are obligatory!
Both of these actions are considered to be general duties of registration under the Federal Registration Act (BMG). Exceeding of the deadline (within two weeks) for registration or changing registration may constitute a regulatory offence which can be subject to imposition of a fine by the Central Fine Payment Authority under Section 54 of the Federal Registration Act (BMG).
Other registration or changing of registration?
Registration or changing of registration does not release you from your obligation to notify other public authorities, e.g. the motor vehicle registration office, of your change of residence.
... in residence status must be reported to the registration authority within the registration period (within two weeks).