Application for relocation bonus for students
One-off voluntary contribution from the City of Leipzig
The City of Leipzig grants the relocation bonus to all students, who register their principal residence or sole residence for the first time in Leipzig for the purpose of studying. The bonus of 150 Euros is a one-off voluntary contribution from the City of Leipzig, to which no legal entitlement exists.
The "Relocation Bonus for Students" project has been applicable in Leipzig since the summer semester of 1999, with intermediate amendments.
- Leipzig University,
- Leipzig University of Applied Sciences (HTWK),
- University of Music and Theatre Leipzig (HMT),
- Leipzig Academy of Visual Arts (HGB),
- Leipzig Graduate School of Management (HHL),
- HfTL University of Applied Sciences (Telecommunications) and
- Designhochschule Leipzig (University of Arts and Design)
- for the purpose of studying, have moved their principal residence or sole residence to Leipzig and consequently are primarily resident in Leipzig pursuant to § 21 Federal Registration Act (BMG) and
- are registered in Leipzig with principal residence or sole residence
receive the one-off relocation bonus on request.
- Relocation to Leipzig with primary or sole residence must occur within six months prior to or after the beginning of studies in Leipzig. Definitive here is the status of residence in Leipzig on 31/12 of the year of application.
- "Eligibility guidelines for the granting of a relocation bonus for students in the city of Leipzig", resolution of the council meeting (no. VI-DS-01807) of 20/01/2016, published in the Leipziger Amtsblatt (official gazette) no. 2/2016, page 8
- Administrative Procedures Act (VwVfG) as amended
- Federal Registration Act (BMG)
Documents / forms to be submitted
- signed and completed application form
- written confirmation from the university in accordance with Section 9 of the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG)
- if required proof of preparatory study measures (for example: language courses, internships directly related to study)
- confirmation of period of study, where applicable
Deadlines and length of processing
An individual assessment will take place if the commencement of study is later than six months after registration in Leipzig. In this case further proof will be requested. The same applies if registration in Leipzig takes place more than six months after the beginning of study.
The approval notice will be issued at least four weeks before the time of payment.
Procedure and processes
The decision on approval of the relocation bonus for students is taken by the Regulatory Authority [Ordnungsamt], Department for Registration, Passports and Personal Identification Cards, in a simplified administrative process.
If your application is rejected and you feel that you have been treated unfairly, you can file an appeal. More information will be supplied in the instructions on filing an appeal that are provided with the decision.
Costs and fees
No fees are charged for the decision on the granting of a relocation bonus for students.
Registering your residence is obligatory!
If the principal residence or sole residence is not registered in Leipzig, at least the secondary residence must be registered. Exceeding the period of two weeks for registration, reporting a change of address and reporting a departure from an address is a breach of the law which can be punished by the Central Payment of Fines Authority with a fine in accordance with Section 54 of the Federal Registration Act (BMG).
Frequently asked questions
The City of Leipzig grants the relocation bonus as a voluntary financial benefit in the form of a non-recurring payment of EUR 150.
All the Resident Services Office (Bürgerämter) of the City of Leipzig accept applications. This is also where you register your principal residence in Leipzig.
Payment of the bonus will occur at the latest at the end of the second quarter of the year following application. If transfer does not prove possible due to bank details that are no longer accurate or are incorrect, no attempt will be made to research this. If current bank details are not provided, the claim for granting of the bonus shall lapse three months after the approval of the bonus.