St. Thomas Church (Thomaskirche)
St. Thomas Church is, after St. Nicholas Church, the second central church in the city centre. The church is 76 metres (249 ft.) long. The nave is 50 metres (164 ft.) long, 25 metres (82 ft.) wide and 18 metres (59 ft.) high. The church tower is 68 metres (223 ft.) tall. Tower tours are held from April through the end of November.
As early as the 12th century, a church stood on the same site. Between 1492 and 1496, the existing Romanesque building was transformed into the late-Gothic hall church that still exists today. Between 1884 and 1889, the interior of St. Thomas church was renovated, and since then, reflects the neo-Gothic style. The Mendelssohn portal on the west side of the church was also installed during this time.
Following the reunification of Germany in 1990, St. Thomas Church was fully restored and repaired. The work was almost fully completed in time for the 250th anniversary of the death of Johann Sebastian Bach on July 28, 2000. At that time, the new Bach organ was also installed at St. Thomas.
St. Thomas Church is open daily from 9:00am to 6:00pm. Outside of scheduled worship services and motet concerts, visits and tours can take place during these times.
From April to the end of November, it is possible to tour the tower. Tours are held on Saturdays at 1:00pm, 2:00pm and 4:30pm (following the motet concert) and Sundays at 2:00pm and 3:00pm. Admission is € 2.00 per person, with no charge for children 12 years and younger. Special tours are possible by advance request.
St. Thomas Boys' Choir
Since the year 1212, St. Thomas Church has been home to the St. Thomas Boys' Choir - one of the most renowned boys' choirs in Germany. From 1723 to 1750, the choir was led by St. Thomas Cantor Johann Sebastian Bach. From 1992 to 2015, Georg Christoph Biller was the Cantor at St. Thomas Church. Starting beginning of 2015, Gotthold Schwarz acts as the interim musical director up until 31 March 2016.